Wednesday 27 June 2007

Can an organisation dance?

I shall shortly be traveling to Vienna, to the 23rd Colloquium of the European Group for Organizational Studies: Beyond Waltz – Dances of Individuals and Organization.

While I am not formally presenting at that colloquium, I am (as a newly qualified PhD) participating in a special early career scholars workshop. There, an essay I am currently working on will receive some critical review. I hope, either from Vienna or shortly after, to add some personal commentary on the proceedings and some thoughts about dancing organisations. Did Marx have a point?

“These petrified [social] conditions must be forced to dance

by singing to them their own melody.”

Marx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed the quote. I translated it to reminding people around us, and those whom we merely encounter, of their specialness. I often think adults fail to remind each other of our respective positives - we seem to live in such a critically oriented society overall. I very much believe in the oriental concept of 'saving face' and even if you have an issue with someone, trying to achieve the saving of face for both sides.